Monday, April 11, 2005

Struggling through...

Hello,
I know that we all go through times where we are struggling. Today, during the sermon (which was on Psalm 23) I heard about what the valley is/can be. In terms of sheep and sheperding, the valley is often where one not only found good water (important in a dry place in which Kind David lived), but one needed to go through them in order to reach the ideal places where the sheep could feed (apparently known in sheparding terms as the 'table'). Well, they teach us a lot about ourselves, others and who or what we can depend on. Well, the reason I'm writing this cause a friend of mine is currently really struggling in her last few days of school. It remind me of a time when I was struggling with school... specifically during my Christmas exams.

I rememeber having lots of time to study for my botany course, but there was one big problem... i could get my self to literally pick up a book. It's not that I didn't know what to do, what I should study, or that I was worried about what it would mean to fail, or even that I was in it of itself worried what the test might be/do ... it's was simply a matter of I couldn't will myself to pick up a book to study. I wanted to though, that's the contradiction... it wasn't that I didn't care. Believe me, I cared... which is why I was stressing, cause although I WANTED to study, I didn't have the will power to even glance at my notes. What was I doing instead? Sitting at my desk, trying to will myself to pick up a book. I was soo despirate that I cried out to God... up until that moment, I had been a big believer that if you had determination you could do anything.

Sure, I thought, it would be better to do it with God, but it wasn't necessary. I mean, look at all the non-Christians that are amazingly successful. Clearly, I thought, that you didn't need to acknowledge God (or get his direct immediate help... and by that I mean that God had given us gifts, so although God can help us with the application of those gifts, we could still use it otherwise) to be successful.

Boy did that time of struggle break me of that.

I realized that simply because non-Christians didn't acknowledge God doesn't mean he hadn't gifted them even with their basic desires (which I suddenly understood to be a God given gift... perhaps the most profound/strongest). In other words, without God, no one person can do a thing. Nothing. Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Not a thing. Absolutely, positively negative. Big fat donut. But... I had to come to the end of my rope, until I had no choice left BUT to trust in God, before I really really trusted him. It wasn't something I could do on my own.

So I hope my friend reads this and understands that I do know what she is going through. That if she is ever at the end of her rope, when there is nothing and no one left to trust or hope for/in... that God is able. I learned that. I hope, all of you that read this, do too. Especially you... troubled one. :)

The Servant of the True Author

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home