Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Immigrants

One-fifth of Canada, and half of T.O. is immigrants.  So says the survey.   Of course this is pretty common knowledge among Torontonians.   I mean looking around, or even asking around it's hard to find person who's family has been here more than 3 generations.   Most of the people I know are either immigrants themselves (including myself), there parents came here and had them (majority of my friends it seems) or have been here a few generations ( i.e. there grandparents came over).   All this is old hat...

But it does remind me of something I experienced 10 years ago.   I remember hearing that 75% (or something like that) of Canada's population was Caucasian.   Having only grown up in Toronto, and not having the rest of Canada I found that hard to believe.   I mean, look around Toronto, there is no way that three out of four people is Caucasian (actually 51% of the city of Toronto is visible minorities).   But when I started doing door to door soliciting (Gas stuff, that's another story) in small town southern Ontario, I finally saw where all the white folks were.   All this means is that urban centres and rural Canada are two different worlds.   But even more glaring is that a vary sizable chunk of the immigration comes to the GTA.   This means that the Canadian experience is... well non existent.   Canada is many things, and each one is entirely unique.   A true salad bowl.

--
ሰላም  ዮሃንስ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home