Friday, June 10, 2005

Broken non-promise...

Hey all,
Looks like the first week I failed at my non-promise ... sorry, it's not sunday but hey, I'm still going to write. So here it is, and the next one ... well, trying not to promise (cause I dont' know if I'll have the time Sunday) ... Monday I think.

Well, here's an interesting story.

So my friend was going home because her mom was flying to England to attend my friend mom's mother's funeral (i.e. my friend's grandma). It's about 30-45 minutes by car and long by train, not to mention that by train it's about $8 each way. My friend is a student, so to save time and some money for her (and maybe have some company) I offered to drive her. I had work that night (this was before work), but I had about 4 hours before I had to be there. I figured even in the worst possible rush hour traffic 4 hours would more than be enough. Well...

To by pass some of that rush hour traffic we decided to avoid the highway until just outside the city. Wouldn't you know it as the very part that we got on, there was a major major accident. During a friday evening rush hour, which also included those going to their cottage for the weekend... they closed the entire highway in the direction we were going. Needless to say, it took about 2.5 hours to travel about maybe 3 kilometres (that's about 2 miles for you Americans).

So, we decided to take the car at about 4:30pm, didn't start travelling until about 5:30pm. We got onto the highway part at about 6:15pm (we had stopped for a quick bite to eat). And it's wasn't until 8:50pm that we got off the very next exit... I had to be AT work at 8:30 to open for 9pm. So I called my co-worker, who lived about 10 minutes away for work, to go and let the patients in. I got to work at 9:15 though... so in the end I was fortunate enough to have a a great (and close living) co-worker, who happened to be home.

I felt bad for my friend though. Because I didn't really get her to her parents. She insisted that I go to work, while she called her family to pick her up. Of course I made sure she for sure had a ride before I left (I wasn't going to abanden her no matter how late I was for work, that's not so cool)... but anyway ... it was an ordeal and then some.

Tune in next time to hear about what happened the next morning after work. Boy I am really starting to hate driving.

The Author

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home