Sunday, February 19, 2006

Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

Hi All,

Some of you may know about the recent protests, occasional riots and general anger that arose from an editorial cartoon poking fun at Mohammed (if you don't know what I'm talking about, look it up, it's everywhere). Recently the University of Toronto school paper published a stupid article "in support" of re-publishing it. [registration is free and takes 20 seconds]. In responce, I wrote a letter. There are of course much better responces I've read than mine. I give you those to give you my position essentially. But if you remember the title to this blog post (and if you have already checked it out), you might be wondering what does this have to do with it at all?

Well, I'm glad you asked.

You see I just finished reading a four part series on violence and hip-hop. I like it. Well researched, well written, the ending a bit flat, but still good... if not vague. The part that interested me with regard to the cartoons was the section that dealt with the riots in France (the third part of the series). Specifically the parts that talked of the french government trying sentence various artists to jail for committing an "outrage to social decency."

A few things struck me about them. The most obvious, is why aren't European papers clamoring to re-print the various articles of the rap artists. After all, those artists are being put in jail. Freedom of speech is being threathened. But the other part of which it reminds me, is the notion that Martin Luther King Jr. talked about in his letter (the link is the Post Title). Specifically, the notion that an unjust law be disobey. But it is done
because of respect for the law. That is, once civil disobedience takes place you must be willing to pay the price of that disobedience (i.e. go to jail, pay a fine etc). This show...well, just read Dr. King's letter, he does a great job of explaining it.

Anyway, the two situation, for me, serve to contrast between why the newspapers say they are publishing it and why it actually happens. The fact is in Europe publishing things against muslims or even religion is very free and easy. It isn't being threathened.

Consequently I like the ending of the Hip Hop & Violence article. Hip Hop is a force. Until unjustice or inequality ends, the power of hip-hop (i.e. to give a voice to the voice-less) wont stop. Nor should it. I personally may not do or like a lot of the lyrics, but let me tell you, without a lot of the profanity, hip-hop would still be just as powerful. You gotta recognize.

Dr. King's letter is also an incredible read. You want to know to really affect change? That letter is a great vision starter.

Peace.
The Author

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home