Monday, September 08, 2008

Spielberg's best stance

So, one of the criticism I've had about the open ceremonies for the Beijing Olympics (for those that had asked me) was the pointlessness of a lot of the things in it (see a couple of posts ago). Specifically --- though not only --- the whole paper thing they did ('this another great thing we gave to the world, so let's watch some people dance on it with ink on their hands') was a grand "who cares?" I mean really, I'm watching the Olympics and I'm getting a symbolic history lesson about paper? Seriously? My overall impression is they threw in a LOT of money (I heard $100 million), but got no real value. It was well rehearsed and technically very difficult... but at the end of the day, all I could thing about was "who cares?"

Well this may explain a lot (though not all) of it.

Spielberg quitting as artistic director would make a difference. My main thought was that they needed a better one who could have a more ... ummm... thought-out ceremonies. Making the whole greater than the sum of their parts. I would think that in the last 7-8 months would be too late to make great changes. So I'm not sure how much he would have improved it -- but knowing him -- it would have been better. Mind you I still don't see how one could save the whole paper thing in any way.

And on the off off off off off off off off off off off off off off off off chance that someone that knows him see this post -- give this message to him:
At no point in your life will you look in the mirror and say 'Damn! I shoulda work on Beijing'. You may not ever think to be thankful for not working with China. But I guarantee you that if you had worked with them, you would have definitely ended up regretting it. Getting more money, honour or 'respect' doesn't compare to trying to help save lives. And even if nothing came of it, you didn't just stand by and do nothing.


See ya.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent post -- i really like the prioritizing perspective. This is a good way to look at things -- "what will i think about this/ how will i feel about this in a couple of years?"

12:01 p.m.  
Blogger Selam said...

thanks... i do think that if more people thought this way, things would be much better off.

2:00 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home