Sunday, March 16, 2008

Rocket's Red (Hot) Streak

I don't know how much I can add to the articles that hasn't already been said.   The Laker's Kobe phrased it best when he said (to the critics who keep saying it's not that big a deal, cause the competition has been weak) "if it's so easy, then why hasn't someone else done it"?   A good point.   The just beat the same Lakers to extent the streak to 22 straight wins and take the top spot away from them.

Mind you critics (who are these guys, I can't seem to find any article myself from these "critics"... are the invisible or something?) also point out that the Lakers were without their second best player (and the spark to the arms race in the Western Conference that saw 6 of the top 7 teams trade/acquire someone new).

But wait a minute.

The Rockets lost a small 7'6" centre 10 wins ago.   And they have been without one of their key bench players in Landry.   When you lose a combined 31 points and 16 rebounds from two of your better players you usually take a dive.   The Rockets haven't.   In fact they won their last  11 games by 10 or more points.   So if they've had to deal with back fortune as much as anyone else.  

I will add that people thought that McGrady had a bad game.    He was 0-6 in the first half, and didn't score until near the end of the 3 quarter.   He managed to score 8 in the 4th though.   So was that a bad game?   Let me be bold... no.

They won, and no, not inspite, but because of him.   Rafer Alston AKA Skip-to-my-lou (from And1 fame), was on fire cause of the Lakers insistence on double teaming T-Mac and leaving him off alone to wander the 3 line in his lonelyness.   Result?   Alston was alone on the 3 point line all night, he hit 8-12 and a total of 31 points (both career highs). 

"I felt that the attention was going to be on Tracy," Alston said. "I thought if I could get going early, maybe that would shift the attention a little away from him, maybe they wouldn't leave me out there at the 3-point line. But they stayed glued to him all night."

That Sir/Ma'am is team ball.   And that is why they have won and earned their 22 game win streak.

I'll summerize it in three words*:  McGrady for MVP.  


--
ሰላም ዮሃንስ

*I'm not sure MVP counts as a word, but for my purpose, It'd do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home